Monday, June 20, 2011

Ghosts and Humor and Love, Oh My!

MINNETTE MEADOR is one talented writer. She writes SF, Historical, and now a paranormal romance with humor. She is genre bending and does not skimp How one person can write in each of these genres and keep you glued to your seat is amazing.  My first exposure to Minnette's writing was with her Starsight novel.  I was drawn to the Spider Robinson quote--a favorite writer of mine, and when I finished it I knew this was someone to watch.  Then I read her first Centurion Novel, The Centurion and the Queen. I must admit, I thought no one who writes SF well can also write a good historical.  Boy was I wrong.  Historical Romance is definitely a genre Minnette can handle.  So, now she has a ghost story with humor and romance, A Ghost of a Chance.This is a woman who is always pushing the envelope.  Believe me, I am not going to misjudge her again. It's already in my buy list for the release date on Wednesday.


Please join me as we find what makes this author tick.  I am certainly excited to download my copy of A Ghost of a Chance ASAP.

What was the initial spark that put this story in your head?

I am a devoted ghostie. I not only believe in them, but I've seen them quite a few times. It was late at night, just as I was getting to sleep (and I think after a Ghost Hunters marathon), it suddenly dawned on me that a poor guy who sees not just one or two ghosts, but all of them, might make for an interesting comedy. Voila! Keenan steps in and the book takes off from there. I had a blast writing this and, since it's my very first comedy, it was nice to laugh instead of cry like I usually do with my historicals or fantasies.

It seems that most authors use something from their own lives, or the lives of people they know as an integral part of the story. Is there anything in this story like that? If so, what?

I think in some ways, Keenan is a male Minnette. Like him, I put out streetlights when I'm angry or upset on a walk. I have seen ghosts and I consider them more of a pain in the ass than something that frightens you. I LOVE the Hawthorn District of SE Portland, including the Bagdad theater, micro brew, McMenamin's and The Hotcake House. These are all places that are as familiar to me as my husband's smile.

Is there a particular scene in this book that you really loved when you finished it? Which one and why?

I think I like the scene with the succubus on the 2nd night. It is surprising and life changing for Keenan.

You've written in a number of genres: SF, Historical, and now a paranormal. Is there a theme that carries you to all these different places, or are you one of those writers who just like variety?

I always seem to have music somewhere in my books, whether as a main character, like Starsight, or as something important, like A Ghost of a Chance. However, I really do like variety; I am an avid reader and I've never met a genre I didn't like, so I guess that carried over into my writing. The ideas that pop into my head know no genre boundaries!

What's next for you? Can you tell us about any upcoming releases? Will you be traveling in the next few months where readers can find you?

I'm am extremely excited about my next two projects: The Gladiator Prince, historical romance (third book in the Centurion Series, though this one is completely stand alone), and The Bell Stalker, an urban fantasy thriller. See blurbs below for more info. I will be in downtown Portland on July 30th from 11am-5pm at the Pioneer Square for the NW Book Festival, and then at Jan's Paperback Books for a book signing on August 4th from 12-4.

THE GLADIATOR PRINCE:  Book III of the Centurion Series
RELEASE DATE: August 17, 2011  Resplendence Publishing.
Prince Thane is the last surviving royalty of the Trinovantes Tribe in Roman Britannia, having surrendered to the Romans after the Boudicca Revolt to save his two daughters, whose identities he sacrifices his freedom to protect. He is condemned by Nero himself to become a gladiator, to fight until he dies in the arena. When his two daughters are taken in a slaver's raid, Thane escapes, forcing the daughter of his master to take him to Rome to save his children.

Little does he know that the beautiful Syrian woman holds not only the key to his passion, but a secret that triggers a disaster that ignites the world. Will this spoiled willful girl betray him in the end or sacrifice herself to save them all?

THE BELL STALKER - an urban fantasy thriller
RELEASE DATE: October 26, 2011  Resplendence Publishing
For a year, Belle Stark has struggled to conquer fears plaguing her since being attacked by a maniac who continues to roam free and the murder of her father. And she nearly succeeds, until she discovers her lover's murdered body spread over the furniture, making Belle a prime suspect.  Certain her attacker is to blame, she seeks help from her ex-husband, homicide detective Mike Cranston, the one person she swore she would never let back into her life, or heart.

In their hunt for answers, the two uncover more than a lunatic: a supernatural underworld hidden beneath the tall skyscrapers of the city and a secret that could kill them both. Faced with a terrible choice, Belle surrenders herself to the hands of a monster and Mike must solve an ancient mystery before it's too late to save her---

Thank you for joining us Minnette!
I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm surely buying everything Minnette is writing.  Now, if only I could get them all right now and stock up for all my business trips.

NOTE:  Resplendence Publishing marks this as a book with sexual content that may not be suitable for anyone under 18. If you are uncomfortable with explicit sexual content, you may not find this particular book suitable.

Here are the fine retailers that carry Minnette's books.


 

48 comments:

Minnette Meador said...

Thanks so much or inviting me, Maggie, and what an amazing intro! I certainly hope I live up to the praise... M:o)

Minnette Meador said...

PS - Please don't hesitate to ask questions. While I will be in and out today, I will be checking the blog often. M:o)

Paty Jager said...

Hey Minnette! This books sounds really good! I like happy ghost stories as opposed to scary ones and this sounds like one I could read and enjoy.

Tell me a little bit about one of your ghost encounters. Because I do believe in apparitions. I've had a couple of moments in my life when I know I saw a ghost.

Jean P said...

Enjoyed the interview. You seem very matter of fact and calm regarding your ghost experiences, have you ever felt nervous encountering these ghosts?

Leanne109 said...

I love love love ghosts! I also love to laugh :D Great interview Minnette!!! See u on the flip side!

Kristi Knight said...

Kristi Blagrave Knight here from J&G's book club. I can't wait to read this, I looked for it in Amazon kindal last week and didn't see it. If you could please email me and let me know where to get it I would be so thankful. I sent you an email yesterday so you should have my info.

Peace & Love,

Kristi

Christiana said...

I always love getting insight into what makes other writer's tick. Every time I read more about this book, it moves higher on my TBR list. Ghosts fascinate me, even when they shake their heads at me for doing the obviously stupid!

Thank you Maggie for posting this, and Minnette for writing such interesting stories that you just want to dive right in and stay there.

Minnette Meador said...

Paty - I once had a ghost "friend" that stole belts and hid them under mattresses. One of my future blogs is about this and a couple other experiences I've had so stay tuned! :)

Minnette Meador said...

Jean - They scared me to death when I was a kid, but then I started to study the phenomenon and very few hauntings seem to be dangerous. I kind of feel sorry for them.

Minnette Meador said...

Thanks, Leanne!

Minnette Meador said...

Hi, Kristi! Here is the Amazon link: http://tinyurl.com/3dqwhx3 - It went live at www.resplendencepublishing.com last week and on Kindle this weekend. You can only get it in eBook format right now... the paperback will be out later this year. Let me know if you can't find it.

Minnette Meador said...

Thanks, Christiana - I love ghosts too and it was really fun to write a comedy about them!

Sheila Deeth said...

So many things going on Minnette! I love the idea of this one taking place around Portland.

Minnette Meador said...

Hi, Sheila! This one takes place in the Hawthorne District (or and over by The Hotcake House) - This fall another comes out about downtown. I LOVE writing about Portland!

SiNn said...

i sooo sooo wanan read this congrats hun on the release sounds like an awesome story

Kaye Killgore said...

I'm looking forward to seeing you July 30 in Pioneer Square.

Vonnie Alto said...

Hi Minnette,
It sounds like you are in tune to the psychic realm. However did you develop your powers (ie. turning off street lamps, seeing ghosts)?

While I know that I have some psychic abilities, I don't really know how to develop them. I also avoid many of the local areas you mention because they're just not my cup of tea. Is visiting these colorful places more conducive to a paranormal encounter? Or better for using one's psychic abilities?

Kym said...

Hi Minnette !

I am really enjoying the interviews and learning some great things about you :)

Cant wait to read 'A Ghost of a Chance '

kym
krykym(at)fullchannel.net

Vanetta Q said...

Great Interview! Loved all the new info I found out! Love to know "authors" are just like "us fans" :)

Definitely sounds like one I will be picking up! :)

Vanetta@ymail.com

Minnette Meador said...

Thanks, Kym and SiNn (cool anagram - what does it stand for?)
Vonnie, Honestly, I don't that I am in tune with anything ~LOL~ I'm writing later about what I think these "abilities" are and why I have them, so stay tuned! As far as visiting colorful places goes, personally, I think anything that stimulates you, gives you the chills, makes you laugh or cry, makes you want to stay or run away are all conducive to creativity. I never wrote better than after having a crook outside my window. Besides, I ALWAYS have someone there who can take care of me... I'm actually quite the coward! :o)

Minnette Meador said...

Thanks, Vanetta! And that's absolutely true... I love visiting with authors as a fan. I wish I had more time to do it! I'd drive a few of them bonkers! LOL M:o)

Beth Trissel said...

Fascinating Minnette. :) Super post.

Minnette Meador said...

Kaye - I'm really looking forward to Pioneer Square. I'll be sitting with some other authors with Jan's Paperback Books display, which should be very exciting. I'm looking forward to seeing you too!

Minnette Meador said...

Thanks, Beth! M:o)

Tara W said...

I think it will be interesting reading about ghosts in a humorous way. I plan on getting a copy of A Ghost of a Chance ASAP.

The Bell Stalker sounds like a fascinating read as well.

Minnette Meador said...

Thanks, Tara - I had a blast writing it; it's sort of my homage to a couple of old movies: Topper and The Ghost & Mrs. Muir, which are two of my favorites. I think I had these in mind for a couple of scenes. Bell Stalker is a total departure from this one; high thriller, high energy, where the bad guy is an ancient, sexy... no, I won't say, but definitely NOT a vampire! :o)

Chelsea Rafferty said...

Cool interview Minnette! And ohhh seeing ghosts yourself? :o do you live in a haunted house too hon? :D kinda of scary but cool way to get an idea for a book whoohooo *hugs* Stalking you for your tour hon ;)

Minnette Meador said...

Hi, Chelsea! Nope, my current house is clean, as they say. Kind of wish it was. I love your stalking, darlin'! Thanks so much for joining us. M:o)

melissa_jarvis said...

I agree with the above comments. I think the paranormal is all around us, especially ghosts. My mother is actually very sensitive and made my dad leave a very reputable restaurant in Texas because it was haunted. Granted, it had that reputation, but some places don't live up to it. I know I've seen things that shouldn't be there, which even inspired a book from the ghost's point of view. Most haunted place I've been is Winchester Mystery House.

Minnette Meador said...

I think I've heard of that restaurant when I lived in Texas. My DH and I went to a haunted pub where we saw something and I write about that later on my tour. I'm also a sensitive: I get a heavy feeling on my face when strong spirits are present and a splitting headache, but again, I think I know why. You'll have to follow my blog to find out... ~TeeHee~ Thanks for coming over, Melissa! :o)

Chelsea Rafferty said...

aww where was your haunted one hon? :o That always interests me.. its pretty cool that inspired a story ;) and yeah I have a feeling Leanne and I will be total stalkers this round :D *grins*

Minnette Meador said...

Keep up with the blog... I write all about it ~grin~ :o)

Aanchal@Book Flame said...

This sounds like an excellent read..I'll be adding this to my buy list.

bookflamereviews@gmail.com

Christine Young said...

Nice interview. I'm enjoying the book.

Toni said...

Thanks for a great interview Minnette. I always love learning new things about some of my favorite people. I have not read many ghosts stories, but ever since I seen the cover I've been interested in yours.

Toni
tsteinerid(gmail)

Chelsea Rafferty said...

*waves* Hiiiiiiiii Minette! Stalking again.. and OHHH that Urban Fantasy thriller with Belle seems awesome :D That would be some scary stuff seeing your lover killed =/ eek! Is she magical at all or just a regular person? XD Sounds like Mike is just a guy but what about her?? :o) Can't wait to read it!

Minnette Meador said...

Aanchal - Thanks! I'll check out your site... :o)

Christine - Thanks... Glad you're enjoying it.

Hi, Toni - I appreciate it. This is a ghost story, but it's very funny. I hope you enjoy it.

Hi, Chelsea! Bell Stalker is very special to me. I actually started it over at TextNovel.com which has some wonderful stories. The hero is a homicide cop, the heroine his ex-wife, and the bad guy is an ancient insane... but I've said enough. :o)

donnas said...

Sounds really good. Im looking forward to reading it.

bacchus76 at myself dot com

Minnette Meador said...

I hope you like it, Donna! ~hat in hands~

Lola Loves Books! said...

This seems like just the book to help push me out of my current genre rut! I can't wait to curl up with what sounds like a great read!

Minnette Meador said...

Thanks, Lola! I hope you enjoy it... It's definitely a good way to get out of a genre slump. They don't call me the Schizophrenic Muse for nothing! :o)

Minnette Meador said...

I HAD A SECRET CONTEST TONIGHT FOR ANYONE WHO COMMENTED ON ANY OF MY BLOGS TODAY.

The winner of tonight's secret prize is: VONNIE ALTO for her comment on Behind the Book!!! Her prize is a $25.00 gift certificate to Amazon! Congrats, girl!

So make sure you comment on the blogs during celebration and you too could win a secret surprise! http://minnettemeador.blogspot.com for a daily schedule. M:o)

Minnette Meador said...

Vonnie - If you'll send me a note to mmeador at minnettemeador dot com so I can get your gift card to you. Maggie, if you know Vonnie's email can you send it to me? Thanks! Minnette :o)

Na said...

Hello fellow ghostie! I am really liking this idea of a boy version of Minnette, a.k.a Keenan. When authors write from their own experiences and marinate their characters with bits and pieces of themselves, it makes the characters more "real". Not to mention I find it thoroughly enjoyable trying to find parallels between the character and the author. Those are the kinds of characters I am most attracted to, not the standard cookie-cutter type but one who is an individual because just like in real life everyone is different :)

Minnette Meador said...

Thanks, Na - What lovely things to say! You just made my day. :o)

marybelle said...

I am so looking forward to reading THE GLADIATOR PRINCE.


marypres(AT)gmail(DOT)com

Minnette Meador said...

Thanks, Marybelle - I just finished the first draft yesterday, so I have to polish this week and get it off to my editor. I think it's my favorite of the Centurion series so far. :o)

Cynthia Garcia said...

Great Interview! Thanks!

shygrumpychica1@hotmail.com