Tuesday, August 21, 2012

To Cat or Not to Cat

I've been thinking a lot about getting a cat again.  My husband says if we get one, we have to get two. 

 You see we had three cats from the time we got married.  My husband, the softie, went to the Shelter in Ohio looking for ONE cat. There were three kittens left from an abandoned litter that had been bottle fed from two weeks and were just weened.  He couldn't make up his mind. The very smart shelter lady said. "Why don't you take all three home for a couple days and decide which one you like best."

 Um. Right. How did she know it would only take a day to fall in love with all three?  Five years later, we learned they all suffered from the same heart condition. Each one died of a stroke.  The first one went at six years. That's when we learned of the condition and started doing medicine for the other two. The next one at seven years, and the final one 18 months ago at nine and a half years.  I vowed I couldn't go through that again. But...

I'm thinking definitely a shelter cat (Cat Adoption Team) and maybe going for an older cat (like 2 years old or so).  But then I think about how much we both hurt as each one died.  I know they brought me lots of joy, but geez...

Any advice?

2 comments:

terri patrick said...

Losing pets is tough but there is a special enhancement to our lives only they can bring. The question is - do you feel something is missing in your day to day living that would be filled with another cat? Pets are not long term life partners, they are daily delights and disasters.

Maggie Jaimeson & Maggie Faire said...

Thanks for your comment, Terri! You are absolutely right that they are not long-term life partners but they bring something unique to us too. I suspect it will happen sometime this year. Right now I'm going to contemplate for another month.