Thursday, November 29, 2012

Featuring the Always Remarkable Jessa Slade (or is that markable?)

Jessa Slade is one of those people who simply blows my mind on a regular basis.  She is seriously smart, uncannily unpretentious, and frequently freaking funny. (Yes, I too can alliterate).  I absolutely LOVED all of her books in the Marked Souls series, and that is saying something because I've always stayed away from books about any kind of demons.  But I highly recommend Jessa's repentant demons.

Today she is featuring her new novella relating to the marked souls series.

I forced (begged) her to agree to an interview. You can judge for yourself if her answers show that she relished the experience. Enjoy!

Book Blurb


Possessed by a divine entity, Cyril Fane fought rampant evil and the pain of more private losses with a fiery golden sword…until he was beaten and left for dead by a malevolent force. Now exiled from his angelic brethren, he reluctantly joins the Chicago league of talyan—immortal warriors possessed by repentant demons—as his only chance to reclaim his sword and his place in the holy sphericanum.

Bella McGreay, mysterious mistress of the Mortal Coil night club, has also danced around an uneasy affiliation with the talyan. She has secrets of her own to keep, and as the days shorten toward the winter solstice, shadows are deepening all around. Even as she barricades herself against the joys—and terrors—of the Christmas season, she’ll have to decide whether the shadows or her secrets are more dangerous.

Bella and Cyril have good reason to fear evil when an old enemy returns to torment them and the Chicago league. But only together will they find a way to the light after the darkest night.

BUY LINKS:  Amazon  |  Barnes & Noble  |  Smashwords  |  All Romance eBooks  |  Kobo

Interview

What are your roots?

Mostly blond, but turning more gray now. I’ve been writing a long time, since I was a kid, actually. I was doomed from the very beginning, from my very own page one.

Has your own family story impacted your writing at all?

Not enough, according to my grandmother, or I wouldn’t use the F word so much. And the sex scenes would fade to black after the hero rounded first base. In my defense, my grandmother has the uncanny ability to flip directly to the bad parts.

How do you describe yourself as a writer?

Tricky. That’s not necessarily a good thing, I realize, so I try to keep it in check. I have readers who tell me when I’m too amused by myself. Sitting in the dark giggling to myself is always the first sign that something has gone very wrong. Or maybe very right. But probably very wrong.

What do you think is the special power of the genres you write in?

Hope in the darkness. No matter how bad it gets in my worlds (and sometimes it gets pretty bad) my people find hope. And six-pack abs. When I grope around in the dark, I find half-filled water glasses, wet dog noses, and alarm clocks going off before the sun. I wish I could find six-pack abs.

Why was it important for you to write this particular novel?

Story ideas gnaw at the inside of my skull like naked mole rats. Did you know naked mole rats can chew through concrete? Well, now you do. So what chance does my skull have? Better to just let them out. Then they are in your head.

What was hard for you in writing this novel?

For me, the hardest part of any book is writing it. That sounds stupid, but it’s true. The blank page is a bitch. The only thing worse is filling it up. And the only thing worse than THAT is rearranging it so it’s right.

Are there themes that recur in your work?

Striving. My people are usually up against long odds but they charge ahead. They using bang into a few walls, but onward they go. The fools. No, no, I kid. I always give them something to strive FOR, and they know they’ll get their Happily Ever After. Eventually.

What are you working on now?

Excellent question! I wish I had an answer. I have three stories currently trying to kill me. One is the second book in my Sheerways science fiction romance novella series. The second is a notsuperhero story. The third is a futuristic mashup mess that is trying to lure me away from the first two which are both half done.

What would you like to write in the future?

I have a middle grade fantasy plotted out that would make a fabulous movie. (Ahem, looking at you, Peter Jackson.) I want to write it for my grandmother. I will not use the F word.

If you had to give one piece of advice to women who are searching for something more in their relationships, what would it be?

Find your own passion first. You can’t contribute to a passionate relationship and you can’t teach passionate living to anyone else until you’ve experienced it yourself.

Great Advice, Jessa! Passion is key.

Thanks for joining me here. Now let's get to what Jessa is giving away this week.

* * * GIVEAWAY * * *


Jessa is giving away an ebook copy of her first Harlequin Nocturne Craving DARK HUNTER’S TOUCH.  To be entered in the drawing, leave a comment or a question.

DARK HUNTERS TOUCH

Yearning to be free, Imogene has fled the idleness and cruelty of the phae court to hide in the sunlit realm of humans. When the Dark Hunters find her—and they will—she will face the Queen’s wrath.

But she is tired of running, and after a chance encounter with a seductively handsome stranger named Vaile, Imogene embraces the earthly passions within her, if only for one night. But has she fallen for a man—or an illusion?

BUY LINKS:  Amazon  |  Barnes & Noble  |  All Romance EBooks

 

About Jessa Slade

Jessa Slade is the author of paranormal romance, urban fantasy romance, and science fiction romance. Basically, anything with woo-woo and woo-hoo. 


Contact Jessa:  website | twitter | facebook | goodreads


12 comments:

Paty Jager said...

Great interview and so Jessa!
I wish I could make my mind venture into the darkness but I can't. I avoid all scary things. Good luck with your latest!

Jessa Slade said...

I'm actually a very nice, gentle person. Ask my dog :) I don't know why I like the dark side so much.

Evelyn Bohn said...

I didn't start reading these demon books until last year. Maggie told me they were really good and assured me I wouldn't be scared into nightmares. She was right. They ARE really good, even though they feature demons they aren't like evil demons. They are heroes who didn't really want or plan to be a demon and now they are out helping and saving people. I also like the love stories, though sometimes it gets a bit steamy for me. The Dark Hunter's Touch book looks too sexy for me. Is the novella about the same level as the other marked souls books?

Jessa Slade said...

Evelyn, the Cravings line tends toward the heated :) but mine are in keeping with the Marked Souls level of hot, in that the sex is just one part of the love story. I think every part of a story -- the sex, the death, the humor -- is part of their "real" lives, and so I try to give each aspect the same loving care.

Okay, the loving gets a LITTLE more loving, but I blame the hot heroes ;)

Genene Valleau, writing as Genie Gabriel said...

What a fun interview! Jessa, you are wonderful! I've kinda steered away from demons too and am a bit prudish about hot love scenes...I'm probably closer to your grandmother's age than yours. :)

But love your sense of humor, so I may have to venture out of my comfort zone and give your books a read. Keep filling those empty pages!

Ashlyn said...

I love dark paranormals because of the dark characters. In my realistic world of good, why not throw in a whollop of evil in a romantic read? I met Jessa at my first chapter meeting, which also happened to be the Romance Extravaganza at a local library. I found her to be funny, approachable and kind. And then to find out she was one of the authors signing books that day? I was even more impressed. Good luck with your books and I'll be adding them to my TBR shelf :)

Susan said...

The Dark Night was such a great read, and a wonderful addition to the Marked Souls series. Can't wait for more, Jessa :)

Jessa Slade said...

Genene, I have a bad habit of telling people not to read my books unless they are already paranormal romance readers. I'm not an easy place to start! But you're brave to consider venturing toward the dark side!

Ashlyn, I soooo want a button that says "Whollop of evil"!

Susan, I love that you are already on the dark side. And you always seem so gentle and sweet!

Cynthia said...

I have read a couple of paranormal books but I mostly read historical romances.

I am intrigued by the blurb for Dark Hunter's Touch and will be adding it to my TBR pile.

Terri Reed said...

What a fun interview! Maggie, great questions. And of course Jessa's humor always tickles me.

bn100 said...

Very nice interview.

bn100candg(at)hotmail(dot)com

Vonnie Alto said...

I always like to read what motivates other authors to write. Jessa always offers insightful information!