Monday, January 21, 2013

A Day of Connections

Today our country celebrates the inauguration of President Barack Obama for a second term.  I hope you join me in holding him, his family, and our country in thought and prayer as he enters his second term of office.

Though I am not in Washington D.C. for the celebration I still feel a special connection to the events. I lived in the D.C. area (northern Virginia) for 8 years during the 1980's. My husband lived there even longer, before we met. Both of our grown sons live and work in D.C. now.  Our youngest is a Capital Police Officer and he is likely pulling duty on the mall today or late last night and into the morning hours.

In addition to the personal and family connections, I feel a connection to the events because every time a President is elected and inaugurated we show the world that we can pass leadership without bloodshed.  As I look at the difficulties around the world in countries where leadership is wrested from those in charge through military coups or keep those in charge through killing their own people, I am so very glad that I live in America where we uphold our elected officials even when not everyone in the country didn't vote for the winner.  That is the American way, the democratic way, and I am always proud of it.

Today, I am praying for insight for all of our leaders--from the local boards and city representatives to congress and the President. I am praying for a renewed commitment to find ways to work together for the good of all Americans. That work takes compromise on both sides. It's never easy but it is the only way we move forward. I hope you will join me.

No comments: