Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Come On Everybody Here We Go!


My favorite ride at Disneyland as a kid was the Peter Pan Ride and it always started with a light (I think it was Tinkerbell) leading the way as Peter Pan said: "Come on everybody here we gooooooo." Then the boat magically lifts into the air and you view the lights of the city below.

That is how I feel on this final day of our RESOLVE 2013 tour.  I am ready to take off and fly!

I owe a huge debt of thanks to my eight wonderful author friends who provided their advice and their own resolutions around taking a vacation, I am now as resolute as ever to make this work in 2013.  I also thank every one who followed the blogs and offered their experience as well.  I feel truly supported in this resolution.

I began my resolution to take a vacation because over the past two years my husband and I have not managed to take a vacation just for us.  That doesn't mean we haven't gone anywhere because we have.  In 2011 our oldest son got married and we traveled back east to Virginia to celebrate with him. In 2012 our oldest son graduated from law school and again we traveled back east to celebrate with him.  Though we enjoyed both trips, connecting with friends and family, celebrating these wonderful life events with our son, they weren't really vacations just for the two of us where we could escape our daily life and responsibilities.

For the past two years I've been hoping to go to Hawaii.  Though I have been there on business four or five times in the past two decades, I have never taken the time to really explore the islands like I would like. In addition, my husband--who has seen must of Europe and Africa--has never been to Hawaii. It is on his bucket list, both for the history of the native Hawaiians and the WWII museums. He also wants to see the many variations of each island.

Both 2011 and 2012 found us in job and home moving transitions. Coupled with traveling east for family celebrations, both money and time were in short supply to take that Hawaiian vacation over the past two years.So, here it is 2013 and I'm still unsure if we will make it happen.

This year our youngest son is getting married in Pennsylvania.  Yay!!! As in 2012, money and job opportunities continue to be tight. It is unlikely our 2-3 week vacation in Hawaii is in the cards this year either.  However, I will certainly take the advice of my author friends and still "take a vacation" in 2013.  I will:

  • Take advantage of the beautiful free and low cost opportunities right here in the great state of Oregon
  • Make time for frequent weekend holidays together--whether at home with the computer and TV off or for a day trip hiking on the coast or in the mountains.

In the mean time, I'll keep dreaming and planning for when we can get to Hawaii in 2014 or maybe 2015. I am confident we will get there, and when we do it will be magnificent!

I'm dreaming of hiking the volcanoes, dancing in the sunrise or sunset, diving with the fish and swimming with other sea life, and breathing in all the beauty each island has to offer. 



 












Thank you for sticking with us for nine days and participating in the Resolution Tour. I hope you have had the opportunity to get to know each of the authors better, and perhaps you have gained some useful advice for your own New Year's Resolutions.

I ask that you would visit each blog one more time (see the links below).  If you haven't already, please consider becoming a GoodReads FAN of each of the wonderful authors who have been part of this tour.  Becoming a FAN is different from simply being a FRIEND in GoodReads.  Friends get to see the books the authors are reading and reviewing.  But a FAN means you will always get their updates, blog posts, be the first to learn about giveaways, contests, and new opportunities to get advance review copies of books.  None of us are spammers, so do consider becoming a FAN.

Special Secret Prize

The $25 gift card will be drawn Friday night from all the commenters. As a reward for anyone who has commented here on my blog each of the nine days of the 2013 Resolution Tour, you have a special secret prize coming your way. Watch your email for a gift option.  I REALLY do appreciate you and your support!

Happy New Year! See you around the web!

Maggie on the Web: Maggie Jaimeson | Maggie Faire | GoodReads | Facebook | Twitter




THE RESOLUTION TOUR - January 1 - 9, 2013



7 comments:

Jessa Slade said...

You know, I was about to say "Oregon DOES have such nice, close, cheaper places to visit" and then I got to the pix of Hawaii. Yeah, not quite the same, is it? Still, if you do a trip to the beach, a trip to the mountains and a trip to the eastern high deserts, I think you could feel the wonder of a great escape even if you didn't actually get that far away.

Thanks for launching 2013 in style!

Maggie Jaimeson said...

Jessa, you are so right. In fact, I think Oregon is unique in that it can stand in for many exotic locations. When Jim and I were married in Scotland and honeymooned in Ireland and Scotland, I kept thinking how much of it was like Oregon.

It's been a wonderful blog hop of resolutions. You have kept me thinking and laughing and I appreciate it very much.

Evelyn Bohn said...

Okay, if you really get to go to Hawaii, can I come? Seriously, this has been a fun tour. Sorry I haven't commented all of the time. But I did read most of the posts by all the authors. I think you all SHOULD do this again at the end of the year. I'd come back to see what happened.

jamie said...

I gotta say the pictures of Hawaii did me in, too. Especially on this monsoon-y day. At least it was like a monsoon this morning. I think the rain has eased now.
Maybe you can enter contests, or apply to be a contestant on Jeopardy (you would slay them Maggie!) and find a way to vacation in Hawaii sooner than 2014This has been a wonderful tour filled with a lot of fun moments. Sign me up for next year?

Maggie Jaimeson said...

LOL, Evie on coming with. No offense, but it will just be husband and I. You know romance and all that.

Jamie, we had some rain too but I'm sure not as much as you up against the western slope of Hood. Funny you should mention Jeopardy. Actually DH is the Jeopardy king. He has been invited to try out twice--once in Portland and once in San Francisco. But then they put you on a 18 month list for a possible call. He's never been called. After the 18 months is over you can take the test again and hope to get called for try outs. It's not easy to get on. But I think he would certainly win. He watches every night and gets at least 70% of the answers and often more.

Me? I'm lucky to get 30%. First, I have a VERY difficult time with memory of people, places, things, and associations unless they have an emotional attachment to me. Second, even when I can remember I usually don't remember fast enough to hit the button and respond.

I think vacation to Hawaii is going to be either actual income or winning the lottery. To up my chances I'll start buying a lottery ticket every once in awhile between writing and submitting more books.

Paty Jager said...

My daughter's and their husbands are going to Hawaii the first week of February. Our youngest daughter's husband is there for Coast Guard training and will have a week off so our daughter is flying down to join him and her sister and her husband are going to so they can split the cost of renting a house. My kids have been more places than I have!

Maggie Jaimeson said...

How fun for your daughter. I hear you about the kids being more places than you. Same with our kids. Of course some of those places they probably didn't want to be, like Iraq. But I'm happy for them.

Actually I'm waiting for one to live overseas for awhile so we have a good excuse to visit. :)