Thursday, January 10, 2013

Featuring TJ Brown and Summerset Abbey

Today I am featuring the FABULOUS T. J. Brown.  I've known Teri for about eight years and I am super proud of this new series she is releasing on January 15th, Summerset Abbey.  If you love Downton Abbey on TV, you will be crazy about Summerset Abbey. If you love historicals you will be crazy about Summerset Abbey.  Especially if you love the Edwardian period at the dawn of World War I, you will want to order the entire series as quickly as possible. Already it has done SO well that the publisher has gone back for a second printing before the book is even released!  So, you better get on the bandwagon and order your copy soon. I'm not sure there will be any left even after the second printing!

Here's her "official" bio:

TJ Brown is passionate about books, writing, history, dachshunds and mojitos. If she could go back in time, she would have traveled back to England 1910, Paris 1927 or Haight-Ashbury 1967. She resides in the burbs of Portlandia, where she appreciates the weirdness, the microbreweries, hoodies, Voodoo Donuts and the rain.

Now let's get down to the real TJ Brown and ask a few probing questions.

INTERVIEW



What are your roots?
On one hand I’m a Hines 57… My father’s family is all sorts of everything, including native American. My mother’s family  are  the American branch of the Peckhams from England and we can trace our family back to the twelfth century. My grandmother was an anglophile and whenever I went to see Grandma, I was treated to James Herriot,  Masterpiece Theater and  Lord Byron.

Has your own family story impacted your writing at all?
I believe it has.  My grandmother loved historicals set in England. The time didn’t matter and she read medievals  all the way up to WW1... as long as it was set in England. I would visit her for several weeks every summer and we spent hours reading together. I think this was definitely an influence on the Summerset Abbey series. Writing about England seems very natural to me.   

How do you describe yourself as a writer?
I’m an impatient writer! I tend to rush through scenes and then have to go back and dig deeper.  I always know when I have hurried a scene or an ending because my editors will come back and ask me to go deeper.

What do you think is the special power of the genres you write in?
Wow… that is a toughie. Do genres have different powers? Like in an X-man kind of way? Ha! No, I think that historical adult/new adult and historical YA have the same power that all genres have—the power of story. The power to take someone and transport them into another person’s world. That’s pretty powerful.  

Why was it important for you to write this particular novel?
I’m published in contemporary young adult and recently sold a historical young adult.  I loved writing my YA historical, but I think once I started writing the adult historical, I realized that historical fiction is really where I’m supposed to be. It felt right and convinced me that I’m on the right track.

What was hard for you in writing this novel?
So many things! I was very ill while writing Summerset Abbey and that made day to day writing very challenging.  I didn’t have a lot of time to write it which made research a bit difficult, so I hired a fact checker and research guru. When things get hard, you just roll with the punches and figure out how to work through it.

Are there themes that recur in your work?
Definitely. My main theme is always fish out of water. This surprises no one who knows me!

What are you working on now?
I am working on Summerset Three, my second historical YA, and I just pitched a novella that I hope I get a chance to write.

What would you like to write in the future?
More historicals! I have an idea for another Edwardian series set in India as well as a historical YA series set in France. Ideas aren’t the problem… time is!

If you had to give one piece of advice to women who are searching for something more in their relationships, what would it be? 
Don’t sweat the small stuff. No, really.  When it comes right down to it, relationships are everything and the little things that bug you really aren’t worth dwelling on. So often we find ourselves focusing on minutia, instead of focusing on the good stuff.  Every day we spend with our loved ones is a day we can be grateful for.

TJ Brown on the Internet: Website | Twitter | Goodreads

I can tell you that TJ is a special person. You will want to spend lots of time getting to know her and her books.


* * * Contest and Giveaway * * *


Teri  is running a Preorder Contest! In celebration of the launch of SUMMERSET ABBEY, the first in a trilogy, Teri  is holding a book lovers contest.  And get this; the prize is your choice of one of the following: a  Kindle Fire, A Nook HD, or a Kobo Vox!


All you have to do to enter is pre-order SUMMSERSET ABBEY through Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Indiebound, or through your local independent bookstore and then forward the e-receipt to: Teri(at)teribrownbooks.com.

Contest runs from January 3rd through January 14th.

Winner will be chosen at random and announced on January 15th, the day Summerset Abbey comes out!

Is that an awesome way to celebrate or what?

6 comments:

Maggie Jaimeson said...

Thank you soooo much for taking time out of your very busy schedule to do this interview Teri. My readers tend to come after noon, in the evening, and the following day. This blog posts to Goodreads each night, so those readers come the next day. So, don't feel bereft if there is no one here at the moment. :)

Evelyn Bohn said...

I am a huge Downton Abbey fan. Can you tell me in what way your book is similar. Is it in the same time period?

Stephanie Manning said...

Just went and purchased it after reading about it here. I better hurry of with the Sweetwater Canyon Series so that I will be ready for it to come in the next week or so!! :)

Terri Reed said...

Wonderful interview. The cover of the book is stunning. And I know the story will be too.

Paty Jager said...

Great interview. I'm not a regency fan but every once in a while a book comes along that tweaks my interest. Looks like I'll be reading a regency here again soon. ;0

Maggie Jaimeson said...

Thanks everyone for stopping by. I know Terri has looked at the blog and noticed you. She is extremely busy with her next deadlines and this launch. Please know she appreciates your comments.