Monday, January 7, 2013

Resolution 2013: Take Mini-Vacations

Today I'm at Susan Lute's blog talking about her resolution to reduce stress.  So, please welcome the wonderful Paty Jager to my blog with  great advice for me and everyone else about how to take a vacation this year. Paty lives in Eastern Oregon and is a true rancher and horsewoman.  I have to say I admire her lifestyle and her writing.

My Mini-Vacations


To me a vacation is a meal when we eat out and I don’t have to cook or clean up. After thirty-three years of marriage, keeping house, and cooking, I don’t need to travel to feel like I’m on a vacation. I just need a night out, my husband or a family member to do a load of laundry, or a few hours to ride my horse. Those moments or hours when I’m not in charge of taking care of anyone or having to finish a deadline are golden to me. When I don’t feel rushed, harried, or having to do something it’s as good as being on a beach and reading a good book. Short periods of time to do what I want without the burden of others are my vacations. 


If you take a little time for yourself, going out to dinner, reading a book, taking a walk, treat it like a mini vacation and you’ll find yourself making more of those stress-free small moments and your attitude toward everything around you will brighten.


Connect with Paty:  Website | Blog  | Goodreads  |  Facebook  | TwitterPinterest           

Thank you for guest posting today and providing me some ideas form my "Take a Vacation" resolution.  Please be sure to support Paty by becoming her FAN at  Goodreads.

About the Book

I just have to plug Patty and her books here too.  I've read Secrets of a Mayan Moon and ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT.  If you want romance, adventure, and learning something about Mayan culture through the main character, who is an anthropologist, you will want to read this book!

SECRETS OF A MAYAN MOON


Child prodigy and now Doctor of Anthropology, Isabella Mumphrey, is about to lose her job at the university. In the world of publish or perish, her mentor’s request for her assistance on a dig is just the opportunity she’s been seeking. If she can decipher an ancient stone table—and she can—she’ll keep her department. She heads to Guatemala, but drug trafficking bad guys, artifact thieves, and her infatuation for her handsome guide wreak havoc on her scholarly intentions.

DEA Agent Tino Kosta, is out to avenge the deaths of his family. He's deep undercover as a jaguar track and sometimes jungle guide, but the appearance of a beautiful, brainy, anthropologist heats his Latin blood taking him on a dangerous detour that could leave them both casualties of the jungle.

Buy Links:  SmashwordsBarnes & Noble | Amazon | Sony Reader


THE RESOLUTION TOUR - January 1 - 9, 2013





12 comments:

Maggie Jaimeson said...

Thanks for stopping by, Paty. It's a big week back in 2013. No more holiday excuses and everyone needs to be working. I particularly understand the alone time "when I'm not in charge of taking care of anyone." I would add to that also don't need to pay attention to anyone's needs but my own. Those are heavenly times.

Paty Jager said...

Hi Maggie. Thanks for having me here today and plugging my books which is now on sale for .99 at kindle through this month.

With our cattle and haying it's rare that we get a "big" vacation. We can't be away for long periods of time, so my "mini me" vacations are my way of coping.

pollidog said...

Mini-vacations are good. I can often find one in a cup of coffee, or an extra-long dog walk. Life often see-saws on the responsibility factor, so time-permitting it's nice to schedule a day, skip the guilt of all the things I should be doing, and just take time off. When was your last vacation and what did you do?

Paty Jager said...

Pollidog, Actually my last mini vacation was on Saturday when my daughter and I went to the movies and saw Les Miserables. It was 2 and a half hours of pure creative bliss to watch the movie and my best vacation so far this year. ;0)

Genene Valleau, writing as Genie Gabriel said...

I like this concept! That means I had a mini-vacation last night when I took an hour or so and looked at pictures of beautiful gardens on the Internet. I like that!

Maggie Jaimeson said...

Then I had a mini-vacation last night going to a book signing for Delilah Marvelle and Terri Brown. It was four Historical Authors. I always learn something from that group.

Paty Jager said...

Exactly Genene and Maggie! Every time you do something that is a treat it is a mini vacation.

Catherine Lee said...

I love "staycations." I live in an area with a great downtown, lots of excellent local restaurants, and the beach. We can make any day feel like a vacation--right here in our own town.

Caroline Clemmons said...

Paty, I hear you! My husband and I have learned that a couple of days away is a lot more restful than longer vacations and we can take several a year instead of one intense vacation. As you said, even dining out or going on a drive is restful.

Jessie said...

I actually had dinner with Maggie (and other writers) last night. She talked about eating at a Russian Restaurant and I thought... If I can make it this Colorado Restaurant, that might be the closest I could get to Russia (although if I win the lottery, I would be in Russia for the next Olympics).

Paty Jager said...

Cahterine Lee, That's great that you can have a vacation where you live. It helps the wallet and keeps the stress low.

Hi Caroline. Yes, several small vacations a year do more than preparing and going on a long vacation.

Jessie, Dinner with other writers is one of my favorite "mini vacations" in fact our once a month gatherings in Bend of the Bend Roses, I look forward to all month and go home feeling revived. I hope you make it to Russia for the Olympics, what fun!

Maggie Jaimeson said...

I'll go with you to Russia, Jessie. But it will depend on me winning the lottery or getting a very nice book contract. Hmmm...I think the odds are about the same for both. :)