Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Resolve 2013: My Great Escape

We are 8 days into the 2013 Resolution Tour.  Today I'm guest blogging for Jamie Brazil on how to shrink her closet.  So, please welcome Jessa Slade to my blog today to help me take a vacation in 2013.

Jessa Slade writes paranormal romance and SF romance. Her most popular series is the Marked Souls series she did with NY Publisher Signet.  Currently, she has a novella she wrote for Christmas, The Darkest Night, that relates to the Marked Souls world.  If you haven't already read this new part of the series, be sure to check it out. It's excellent.


Resolve 2013: My Great Escape

Jessa Slade
The Darkest Night (A Marked Souls Christmas novella) 

I didn't go camping last year and the lack of dirt time makes me sad. Years ago, I actually took a two-week vacation with my XY and dog, camping our way through Eastern Oregon, Idaho and Nevada. Oh wow… If you’ve never done a full two weeks off (despite the fact that the “two-week vacation” is an American stereotype, I think most people never get to experience it) I highly recommend it. It took about three days to turn off my brain, but by the second week, I realized I hadn’t had a coherent thought in days. It was wonderful! I also hadn’t bathed in days, but whatever :)

As a writer, I live a very active life…in my head. The chance to get out of my head and into my body isn’t just a luxury; I believe it’s a necessity. I NEED the opportunity to reconnect with the real world so that I can bring worlds to life on the page. Even for non-writers, I believe getting out into nature, breathing fresh air, and chewing on some sand reminds us what is important in life. Like hot showers! So I am making a commitment this year to going camping at least once. I might not have time to truly sink into a full two weeks away, but even just a few days will make a difference.

Sadly, one of my guilty pleasures when I camp will no longer be available. The only time I ever ate Hostess Chocolate Donettes was on vacation and now Donettes are gone forever. I should’ve camped more when I had the chance! This is why we make resolutions. Oh well. I guess I’ll just have to double up on the bottles of red wine ;)

Do you have a favorite camping place or camping story? Please share in comments.

Contact Jessa: Goodreads | Website | Newsletter | Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest

Thank you for guest posting today and providing me some ideas form my "Take a Vacation" resolution.  Please be sure to support Jessa by becoming her FAN at Goodreads.
 
Follow Jessa's A LITTLE NIGHT MUSE blog tour for a chance to win goodies!




About the Book


Possessed by a divine entity, Cyril Fane fought rampant evil and the pain of more private losses with a fiery golden sword…until he was beaten and left for dead by a malevolent force. Now exiled from his angelic brethren, he reluctantly joins the Chicago league of talyan—immortal warriors possessed by repentant demons—as his only chance to reclaim his sword and his place in the holy sphericanum.

Bella McGreay, mysterious mistress of the Mortal Coil night club, has also danced around an uneasy affiliation with the talyan. She has secrets of her own to keep, and as the days shorten toward the winter solstice, shadows are deepening all around. Even as she barricades herself against the joys—and terrors—of the Christmas season, she’ll have to decide whether the shadows or her secrets are more dangerous.

Bella and Cyril have good reason to fear evil when an old enemy returns to torment them and the Chicago league. But only together will they find a way to the light after the darkest night.

Buy Links for The Darkest Night:  Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Kobo | iBooks


THE RESOLUTION TOUR - January 1 - 9, 2013

6 comments:

Paty Jager said...

Jessa, it sounds like you were camping not far from where I was haying and camping. When I was growing up my family lived a rural life but we always drove up the county road deeper into the mountains and camped twice a year. Memorial weekend and Labor Day weekend. As young adults with children, my husband and I camped with our kids and several other families several times through out the summers. Now we cringe at the thought of camping. Even though the cabin in Princeton is kind of like camping with water only when the irrigation pump is running and an outhouse.

Camping has always been fun but as you get older it isn't as much fun. Happy camping!

Maggie Jaimeson said...

I have always loved the "idea" of camping, but as I've gotten older the uncomfort of sleeping on the ground has become difficult. Fortunately, air mattresses make it much easier.

My favorite hiking/camping memory is from my younger days when I did a six week Sierra Nevada hike with food dropped in strategic places. That much time in the wilderness with only 7 other people was amazing. You see things you would never, ever see on weekend hikes in the Sierras.

I've always wanted to do the Appalachian Trail. I'm not sure I want it enough anymore to actually make the effort and take the time to plan and execute. So weekend camping may be the best solution.

Jessie said...

I haven't been camping since I was a little girl at a Girl Scout Camp. Jessa - if you have any suggestions for a non-camper to go on a mild camp experience with a small crazy dog who would charge any wildlife, fish to bear, let me know :-)

Jessa Slade said...

Paty & Maggie, we mostly car camp -- although pretty far off the beaten path -- so we can bring (most of) the comforts of home: air mattress (what a discovery that was!), bottles of wine, chocolate Donettes (in the old days, before the demise of Hostess). Our Forester is packed to the roof! Hey, I need a lot of Donettes :)

Jessa Slade said...

Jessie, for a beginner, I love the Paulina Lake area. There's a camp ground, but also rustic cabins so you can feel like you are camping without actually getting rained on :) Plus, there are lots of shorter hikes in the area. Riley would have so much fun!

Maggie Jaimeson said...

We car camped when we had an SUV. But the Prius doesn't exactly work well. We do, however, have a good sized tent (I think it was made in WWII) and carry a queen air mattress that blows up to almost bed height, along with a propane stove. We also try to get either really close to bathrooms or far enough away from everyone that trips outside are unnoticed. :)

Oregon is a great place for camping. I also like the cabin idea. I'll have to try Paulina Lake.