Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Resolve 2013: Work Less And Play

Please welcome a wonderful friend, a great writer, and a woman who has been a mentor to me in both writing and life.  Susan has a way of making lemonade out of lemons time and time again.  It is something we can all aspire to do.  I'm excited to see what she has to say about my 2013 resolution to "take a vacation."

Resolve 2013: Work Less And Play More

Susan Lute
Dragon's Thief

Last spring I took a job that's turned into a hungry monster. Fifty to fifty-five hour weeks are now the norm. I would never have thought it possible when I showed up for work so bright and eager that first day. Needless to say I'm beginning to begrudge every minute over forty hours I give this beast and am really looking forward to my vacations this year. You notice I mention more than one.

Taking a vacation is like picking out which jewelry you want to wear. There's the bracelet wrap – crafted by your fabulous sister – that you wear every day. It's comfortable, well worn, makes you smile every time you put it on. That's Disneyland for me. If the Mr. suddenly said, “Let's go to Disneyland,” I'd say, “I'm all packed, when do we leave?” I LOVE Mikey and Minnie's play ground. It's like coming home. If I lived in LA I'd work there, but that's a whole other conversation. In the meantime, can you say, “road trip”?

The other vacation I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to take is flying to Manhattan. This would be the sterling silver ring I put on every morning. There's nothing that compares to the sparkle of the Big Apple when you need to put the kick back in your blood. It's kind of like falling in love. The delight never wears off.

No matter what you do for a living, don't let work take over your life. Work less, play more. Yes, I promise, I'll cut back soon. Plan vacations. They don't have to be expensive. They can be camping, hiking, taking a drive to the nearest  natural beauty. Just take time to be good to yourself. It'll make you smile.

What's your favorite vacation? And do you have one or two planned for this year?

Find Susan:  Goodreads | WebsiteFacebook Twitter | See Jane Publish Blog

Thank you for taking the time to guest post today, Susan.  I couldn't agree with you more about Work Less and Play as a good mantra to maintain in 2013.  Please support Susan by becoming her FAN on  Goodreads

Also, sign up for Susan's newsletter and have a chance to win a gift card to Amazon or BN.


About the Book




From the Dragonkind Chronicles – the battle is just beginning...

In a post apocalyptic world where Darwin changelings emerge from hiding and humans struggle to reclaim their former glory, mercenary Logan Pen doesn’t want to save the world. His mission is to protect his greatest treasure - his family. That is until he tries to capture a shadow thief. Beyla, a beguiling, emotionless Umbra steals his telein - a talisman forged at his birth while escaping his grasp, making her by ancient dragon law his mate.

Her enemy - a fiery Naga - and the talisman she’s stolen from him rouse emotions Beyla has spent three long years in the land of shadows stripping away. Still she hasn’t been able to banish the grief and pain left by the murder of her human family.

Fighting a desire that flames out of their control, and scrambling to save humanity and their own kind, Logan and Beyla are forced to join forces to keep a weapon of incredible destructive power out of the hands of the man who would use it to conquer their world. With evil on the brink of victory, only through sacrifice do they learn to trust and embrace the love that will change them forever.


Buy Links: Amazon | Barnes and Noble |




THE RESOLUTION TOUR - January 1 - 9, 2013



8 comments:

Paty Jager said...

Su, I tend to take lots of little vacations. Most of them are to conferences, booksignings, and research. And as strange as some may think, when we go to our hay property, even though I am driving a tractor part of the time it is like a vacation because I have less household chores and more time to ride my horse and write.

pollidog said...

It's nice to combine work and play when you have a chance. Can I go over to Paty's place and drive her tractor? FUN!
I hear you on the Big Apple. Very energizing. Though I'm always glad to leave the city afterward. Not sure I could live there.

Maggie Jaimeson said...

I must admit that Manhattan as a vacation does not appeal to me. Too much visual stimulation. I need calm. But I definitely agree with work less and play more, especially when that work is more than 40 hours per week (unless it's writing of course). Thanks for posting today, Su! You are always filled with wisdom for me.

Jessa Slade said...

It's true that my best memories aren't working, but playing. We all need to find a way to make our play our work!

Linda Mercury said...

Yes, more play! I will now get up and dance instead of slumping over my keyboard and worrying about the future.

You inspire me so much, Su. :)

Susan said...

Thanks everyone for stopping by :)

Linda, I'm an awkward dancer, but I love NIA and Zumba. I'm really going to try to do more of that this year.

Jessa, Making my play my work is an interesting concept. I want to think about that, and then let's talk more {{wink}}

Maggie, I'm secretly jealous you're able to write more. And I'm so glad for you! I know. Manhattan is an odd place to love, but I love Oxford England, and London too. Probably I just love traveling :)

Paty's place sounds great, doesn't it pollidog?

Paty, the truth is I probably wish my life was one long vacation, lol. Your place sounds like so much fun!


Evelyn Bohn said...

One of the reasons I work at a job that requires no thinking is so I don't take it home. Then I can play, play, play. Or read, read, read. I don't know how writers ever stop thinking. It would drive me crazy. :)

Jessie said...

Hi Susan - I would love to go to the Big Apple, when the RWA conference returns there so I can accomplish two things :-)

That sums up my vacations, I usually go somewhere where there is something else going on. For example, I adore going to Washington in October and see my friends at the Emerald City Conference. :-)