Monday, January 28, 2013

The End of a Tour is Happy and Sad

This week is the final week in my virtual book tour for Healing Notes. with GoddessFish Book Tours. It's hard to believe it's been going on for three months, and that the coordinators at GoddessFish have been able to keep on top of over 80 tour stops for me across three tours.  They are remarkable!

I'd love for you to stop by and say your final goodbyes to me on tour, or to leave a comment about your experience with reading either Undertones or Healing Notes

The final stop is with Reader Girls. Drop by and say Hi and enter one last time in the drawing. The $25 gift card will be drawn on Friday. Each comment that has been made on a blog during the tour has received one entry.  So, you have three more days to get your final comments in.

Now that the end has come, it is with a combination of happiness and sadness that I will say goodbye. When I saw the pictureabove, it spoke to me about my book and about my tour.  I do believe that a happy ending is most satisfying when the journey of the protagonists has been especially difficult.  That is certainly the case for Rachel and Noel in Healing Notes.  In life, that is often the case for me too.

For me, my journey not only with writing and publishing the book, but with the virtual book tour has also been a story in itself. This is the first time I've written a second book in a series. I was truly afraid it wouldn't work out very well, and it tested me and my writing at every step.  I also knew I was tackling a difficult but important subject: rape recovery.  I was fearful that no one would pick up the book because of that topic. It is something every woman fears, and yet most of us avoid reading about it.  Because of my own experience with rape, it was a hard book to write. There were many days when I struggled with going into Rachel's emotions. I really didn't want to give her more pain, yet I knew I had to be honest in her journey or the happily ever after would not be as satisfying. In the end, it appears the book is being read, and even more than that it is being reviewed well. My energy through the three months of the tour has remained very high because of all the new readers I've met and how much they've shared their views with me and what the book has meant to them. 


Crossing the boundaries of romance and women's fiction, while exploring difficult themes is not something I set out to do. It just seems to come out of me naturally in all of my books, and my characters agree.  So, thank you to everyone who has made the journey with Rachel and Noel, AND me.

Though I will miss the attention to the book and to the Sweetwater Canyon series that the last three months have given me, I am also happy for the tour to be at an end so that my full concentration can go into writing my next books.  One of the amazing things about being a writer is that I learn new things about my craft with each book. It is exciting to be working on the next book and the next, because I know it is even better written than the last.

At a book signing recently, a reader asked: "Which one is your best book? That is the one I want to buy."  I shuddered a bit before giving my answer, knowing that she would only buy one and that my answer might lead her to believe my other books were not very good.  However, I had to answer honestly.  "My best book is always the last book I've written, because I learn with each one."  Looking back, I wish I would have added that I do believe that every book I've published is good or I wouldn't have published it. 

I do have four completed books that will never be published because they will never be good enough. That is why I feel confident in saying the books that have been published are good. I'm not saying they are amazing or the best thing ever written. That is for reader's to decide. So far, the reviews are good for each of my books.  I can only hope that continues to be the case.

I love the sentiment in the image here. It is true in my books and it is true in my life. Through every step of my journey in life there have been challenges when I thought I would never be happy again.  Every time I was wrong. With faith and hope, and the help of loving people around me, I moved forward.

I hope that is the case for my readers as well. Keep trying! Surround yourself with those people who reinforce how wonderful you are. Read those books that help you with your own journey and give you hope.

7 comments:

Stephanie Manning said...

Sounds like you had a great tour!

I recently read both Undertones and Healing Notes and LOVED THEM! I can't wait for the next two books...

Maggie Jaimeson said...

Thank you for stopping by Stephanie. I did have a great tour. Now to make sure I keep all those readers interested in the next two books. :)

Melia Alexander said...

Hi, Maggie.

Congratulations on the successful blog tour. I'm not surprised your books receive great reviews! :-) Looking forward to both UNDERTONES and HEALING NOTES.


-Melia

Linda Mercury said...

Congratulations on a super successful blog tour. :)

Jamie said...

We get by with a little help from our friends. So true of our community! I think we change each other for the better. Congrats on making it through Janaury and the tour(s).

Maggie Jaimeson said...

Thanks for your continued support Melia, Linda, and Jamie. I learned that I actually LIKE guest blogging and doing interviews. I always had dreams of traveling the country and signing my book at bookstores. Not because I love traveling, but because I love meeting readers. As that is no longer something that happens, except for certain NYT bestsellers or non-fiction platform books, virtual book tours and blogs are the next best thing.

Maggie Jaimeson said...

Rita Wray one the gift card for comments on the final blog tour. She was lucky commenter #78 selected from a random draw. The blog host winner was lucky #5, Snifferwalk. For the review tour the winners were Mary Preston for the reader gift card, and Queen of the Night Reviews for the host gift card. All selections are made from a random number generator.

Each time someone commented they were assigned a number. So, readers who commented on multiple blogs had more than one number assigned. The blog hosts only get one number.