Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Rhythms

http://www.maggielynch.com/Books/rhythms-futuristic-collection-short-stories/
Windtree Press has released my first-ever personal short story collection, Rhythms.

Blurb:

This collection of seven speculative fiction stories explores the rhythms of life both external and internal on our planet and in other places in the universe. From identifying a single individual’s challenges with identity to that of a supernatural being whose sole purpose is to embed its soul into the experiences of all people, each story asks you to question what you see, who you are, and how to think outside of your personal experience.

If you are able to adapt to a new rhythm, you will be given a chance to do more than survive. You will find a way to thrive.


Why A Short Story Collection?

I’ve been writing speculative fiction in short form for more than 30 years. I seriously began submitting stories to magazines and anthologies in the late 1980’s. I am a bit different from many of my friends and peers in that I fairly easily embrace change and am fascinated with how one's willingness to adapt makes space for new innovation, problem-solving, and sometimes creates more problems. My speculative fiction reflects that fascination of adaptation by questioning who we are and what we choose to do when faced with challenges that require some type of change to be resolved.

Though I love my work in romance, women's fiction, suspense, and fantasy, I have also missed thinking about and writing about futuristic worlds.  To keep my toe in the water of SF, I made a 2014 New Years resolution to write one short story per month. Most of them I manage to sell to a magazine or anthology, which means there is some period of waiting for publication (ranging from a few months to two years), and then again some period of waiting before I can resell or reprint them again. If I keep to this pace, I expect I may have a new collection every year.

In the Rhythms collection I've included two speculative fiction short stories written this year and one written in 2013. The other four stories are from my favorites in the past.


Question for You

Are you an adapter? When faced with change what is your M.O.? There is no right or wrong answer to this question. I believe the world needs people at both extremes and everywhere in between. Some quick adapters, like me, are successful in business ONLY because we have people on the team who are always questioning the rush, the impact, the timing. In that questioning, some potential landmines are averted.

So who are you? An eager adapter? A middle-ground adapter after some research time? Or a person who needs lots of time for research, preparation, questioning before making a move? What is your rhythm and how willing are you to change it?

2 comments:

Diana McCollum said...

I guess I would say I'm a middle of the road adapter. I've always said I "go with the flow". As long as the change will not harm anyone, I'll consider making it. Now if we're talking about electronic changes I take a little more time and research the pluses vs the minuses of making such a change. Good luck on sales for your short story collection.

Maggie Lynch said...

Hi Diana, that means you are with the majority of people in terms of adapting. I think when we talk about major adaptation to a way of life it is harder. I remember reading Octavia Butler's Xenogenesis trilogy in the early 1980's and thinking about what would happen if the only way for humanity to survive was to become "alien." Or, as I believe was the parallel experience this was based on, if the only way for a slave to survive in America was to become completely different from their experience.

Technology is a type of adaptation that I believe will continue to require human adaptation. It now is integrated into every part of our life--sometimes in ways we don't even consciously process. Will we, as a species, choose constant connection or not? Will the near future "adventure" vacation be going to a resort where you cannot connect? How scary will that be for a technology society?

This is why I love SF. It is the literature of "what if" extrapolated from our current experience.