Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Nature's Beauty

It's been a very busy month for me between teaching author workshops, distributing new titles, and hiring a virtual assistant. Consequently, I've not been as good about posting. But now with help on the administrative side of things, I should be back to normal within a couple of weeks.

This week I am in Bend, Oregon on a little mini vacation.  On the way over, I witnessed something I've never seen before--clouds with rainbow colors. There was no rain in site, nor was there an actual rainbow anywhere.  It just felt like a real blessing to see it. It was about 2pm as I was driving east only Oregon Hwy 26 just before Madras.


Of course, as soon as we got to our lodgings I had to look this up.  Here are some interesting things I learned:

The phenomenon is called different things in different parts of the world: sundog; fire rainbow; and circumhorizontal arc came up the most.

What natural process creates it? I assumed there was rain in the clouds. Evidently it's not rain, but it happens when sunlight shines through Cirrus clouds which contain ice crystals. There are all kinds of rules about how high the clouds are and the angle of the sunlight as it hits the clouds. (click on the last picture in this post to get the facts)

Looking for other images online, I found a number of them.  Below are my three favorites. Each is linked to the website that talks about it.

http://www.zmescience.com/other/great-pics/totally-awesome-natural-phenomena-you-probably-didnt-know-about-000033/



https://leahsweather.wordpress.com/2012/10/03/fire-rainbows/
 

http://www.bestatall.com/rainbow-on-fire/



All I can say is that seeing it made my day!!!

2 comments:

Jessa Slade said...

Gorgeous! My superstitious little soul says that's a good sign for things to come.

Maggie Lynch said...

I like that superstitious interpretation. Fingers and toes crossed that it is true.